Not much to say about this one.
It took a long time, largely because I kept looking for a narrative photo, rather than looking for one that I enjoyed looking at. I knew—but didn’t really consider—that I would need to find the narrative and then make the photo, rather than the other way around, and if I’m going to illustrate a novel, I need to read the novel first, make notes, convert those notes into a shot list, and then get to work.
So this took a lot longer than it should’ve, and required many more lens-changes than would’ve been otherwise necessary. In fact, I ended up playing eeny, meeny, miny, moe to pick the one I ended up using.
D7000. Sigma 30mm f/1.4, reversed, on ~100mm extension. ISO100, 1/4 (AP mode), f/1.4, -2EV. Minor processing in Aperture.
Edit: and I feel that I cheated a bit on this one, since it’s relevantly similar to 365.125 Chrysalis, but not nearly as good. Oh well.