Tried something again today, or started to try something new, but decided to try again before I tried, if that makes any sense… probably not, huh.

A couple of weeks ago, I tried to mount the 30mm Sigma and 10-24mm Nikkor in reverse on the 75-150, but had no luck with either. Well, in a flash of brilliance, I decided to try to mount them on the 36-72 instead.

I mounted the 36-72 on the camera, and held up the 10-24: no go, even holding the aperture wide open. I think the pupil or iris (I don’t know the terms: please correct me) is too small. Even wide open (at f/3.5), the opening is tiny.

So I held the 30mm up and ding! it looked like it would work!

So I gaff-taped the 30 to some extension tube parts, taped its aperture wide open, and fetched the 75-150, which had the reversing ring attached to it.

‘Oh, why not try again?’ I thought, and I mounted the 30 on the end. Lo and behold, it worked!

So off came the 36-72, and on went the Super Macro Cousins: Sigma 30mm f/1.4, reversed and taped to the Nikon 75-150mm f/3.5 E Series, and the both of them mounted to the D7000. ISO400, 1/2 sec., both wide open.

And instead of being the subject of the experiment, the 36-72 became the object on which the experiment focused, if a nanometers-worth of depth of field can be counted as ‘focused.’

If you’re wondering, I make the reproduction ratio of this combo something close to 5:1.

This shot was cropped very slightly to center the Punisher in the frame. I’m very much looking forward to the arrival of some focus rails later this week.

Good times.

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.